AASR meets at the quinquennial world congresses of the IAHR for electing a new AASR Executive for the next five-year period and for dealing with matters that need the approval of the AASR General Meeting. In the past, the AASR met at:
• Mexico City in August 1995
• Durban in August 2000
• Tokyo in March 2005
• Toronto in August 2010
• Erfurt in August 2015
AASR also organises a major regional conference at least once every five years in Africa. AASR has organised six conferences in Africa and is currently organizing a seventh that will meet in Legon, Accra, Ghana from 26-29 July 2016.
Previous AASR Regional Conferences:
• Nairobi, Kenya, Kenyatta University/Amani Centre (The Religions of East Africa in the Age of Globalization) – July 27-30, 1999
• Legon, Ghana, University of Ghana (The Role of Religion in the Socio-Cultural Transformation of West Africa) – February 4-8, 2004
• Gaborone, Botswana, University of Botswana (Health, Healing, and the Study of the Religions of Africa) – July 8-13, 2007
• Ile-Ife, Nigeria, Obafemi Awolowo University (Religion, Environment and Sustainable Development) – January 17-21, 2009
• Njoro, Kenya, Egerton University, (Sports, Leisure, Religion & Spirituality in Africa & the African Diaspora) – July 18-23, 2012
• Cape Town, South Africa, University of Cape Town (Religion, Ecology, and the Environment in Africa and the African Diaspora) – July 30-August 3, 2014
For more information on the upcoming conference in Ghana, please visit the Meetings page on this website.