As an AASR member, you are able to connect with other members and take advantage of opportunities to publish and present your research. Members also have the opportunity to submit paper proposals for regional and international AASR conferences, meetings and panels.
Any scholar with suitable qualifications in the study of the religions of Africa and its diaspora, or in the study of other religions when appointed to an academic institution in Africa, may apply for membership with the AASR. Membership is open to scholars of religions working in the fields of African indigenous religions, Islam in Africa, African Christianity, new religious movements, and other religions with followers on the continent, such as Hinduism and Judaism, as well as in the religions of the African diaspora.
For more information about membership requirements, please consult the AASR Constitution, section 3.
To apply for membership, please send the following information to our Treasurer, Dr. Sara Fretheim (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Last name, first name, degree
- academic position
- departmental or institutional mail address; and/or private mail address
- phone numbers, office and/or private, and/or cell phone
- e-mail address(es), institutional and/or private; and webpage, institutional and/or private
- academic training: which degrees did you earn, when were they granted, and by what universities?
- field(s) of teaching
- research interest(s)
- membership of other learned bodies, and/or of editorial boards of academic journals
- three publications, either your latest three, or your three prime publications, each with full bibliographic details (including page numbers of chapters in edited volumes and articles in academic journals)
Information on new members will be published in the bi-annual AASR Bulletin.
Annual Membership Dues
AASR members are required to pay annual membership dues. Members in Europe, America and other western or stronger economy countries pay a minimum annual fee of $60 while other members pay a minimum of $30. Student and retired persons pay half of the standard annual fee for their country or region (i.e. either $30 or $15).
There are 3 payment options available:
2. Pay through the AASR central bank account: African Association for the Study of Religions, Bank of Scotland Branch Code: 80-20-00 Account No. 00208442; BIC:BOFSGB21168; IBAN: GB05 BOFS 8020 0000 2084 42.
3. If the two options of payment above are not feasible or too expensive, you may pay through your national or regional representative.
If you have any questions about the dues structure, or if you are having issues paying online or through the AASR central bank account, please contact your national or regional representative.